Geneva Writers Group Literary Prizes 2017
We are delighted to announce the winners of this year's Literary Prizes:
Non-fiction (Judge: Nick Barlay)
First prize: Tara E.M. Giroud A final deception
Second prize: Patti M. Marxsen This wave in the mind
Third prize: Mary Pecaut Sting
Poetry (Judge: Naomi Shihab Nye)
First prize: Julianne DiNenna Girl in tulips
Second prize: Elizabeth H. Boquet Said Unsaid
Third prize: Marina Sofia The Shore
Fiction (Judge: Karen Sullivan)
First prize: Mackenzie Pitcairn Blush
Second prize: Clare O’Dea Song for Solomon
Third prize Roderick Vincent The reality of forms – 3000
The Geneva Writers Group has established the GWG Literary Prizes as a way of recognizing and celebrating our writers. These awards, created in 2013 and now in their fifth year, encompass a winner and second and third prize for fiction, non-fiction and poetry.
We are excited to announce this year’s judges are Naomi Shihab Nye for poetry, Nick Barlay for non-fiction and Karen Sullivan for fiction.
To submit for the Literary Prizes, it is necessary to be an active GWG member. Members may submit their work in one or more of the different categories we offer each year.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: When is the deadline for submissions?
A: Entries need to be in by 24 April at midnight. Once sent, they cannot be altered. There is no fee to enter – and there are cash prizes. Follow the guidelines below and give it a go!
Q: Can I enter several categories?
A: No, only one. If you have won first place in the last three years you are not eligible for that category again. You can enter a different category though.
Q: If I’ve had work published successfully elsewhere, or have submitted elsewhere for publication, can I still enter?
A: Only previously unpublished work can be submitted. Winning entries will not be published by GWG. Writers retain full rights to submit their works elsewhere.
Other questions? Email me, Lesley Lawson Botez, Coordinator, GWG Literary Prize 2017 at firstname.lastname@example.org
Guidelines for submitting to the GWG Literary Prize 2017
1) Entries need to be submitted by 12 midnight on April 24, 2017.
2) There’s no fee to enter the Literary Prize but you must be a fully paid GWG member. Make sure your membership is up-to-date.
3) Send your entry as an attachment to your email to email@example.com with the subject line GWG Lit Prize: Poetry (or) GWG Lit Prize: Fiction (or) GWG Lit Prize: Non-fiction.
4) Your entry should not appear in the body of your email.
5) Give your name in your email as you’d like it to appear should your entry win, and add your contact details as listed in GWG membership records.
6) Make sure your entry has a title which you will mention in the body of your email.
7) Do not include your name in the attachment – only identify it by its title. Obviously both titles must be the same.
8) You may enter only one category.
9) If you have won FIRST PLACE within the past three years, please do not enter that category again this year. However, you may enter a different category.
10) Only previously unpublished work may be submitted.
11) Your entry cannot be altered once it has been submitted.
12) Winning entries will not be published by the GWG online or in print. Writers retain full rights to submit their works elsewhere.
13) Each category has a first place, a second place, and a third place winner.
14) For fiction or non-fiction, double-space your text and save as a Word document, 12-point type. Do not exceed 3,000 words.
15) For poetry, format as you wish. You may submit one or two poems, number of lines up to the poet. Do not exceed a total of 3,000 words for both. If you are submitting two poems, attach each as a separate file. Save as a Word document, 12-point type.
16) Any questions? Feel free to email me, Lesley Lawson Botez at firstname.lastname@example.org